Friday, March 2, 2012

Grawcho's BlogPost (ver. 1.0 Beta)

Hi all, instead of saying how exited i am about my first post, I'll get right to business.
Two major companies in the industry launched their OS beta versions yesterday. and as a cutting edge enthusiast “techie” I of course rushed to get both of them.

the first is Microsoft's Windows 8 consumer preview (...or should i say time consumer, and if this is the preview, I wasn't sure I wanted to see the full feature, but my patience level is high).
the process started with the unfortunate fact that it took me half a day to find out how to install this OS version on a virtual or physical machine from scratch (not an upgrade or an 'along side' installation).
at this stage i want to point out ,my hardware and band-width are nothing to be embarrassed about (even the virtual ones).

the download process is enabled only from windows machines (doesn't run on any windows emulator i have) takes about 30 minutes, and right when you think you are done, the wizard starts "checking your files..." for ten more minutes followed by "getting the files ready ...". (what were you doing 'till now, just get on with it ... will ya).
It doesn't end there though, then started the process of calculating "thing you have to do ..." and told me i have low on disk space (only 3GB free left),16GB free space, it needed (my virtual-box windows 7 runs on almost all of a 30GB disk so ... no go there). went on to make more space by unistalling some unimportant stuff (2 more hours) and 5 more minutes to find out how to go back to write the disk image for a fresh Virtual machine.
i didn't give up though (up till now there is about 16 hours of working on this venture).

i finally got around to installing the new VM, and here is my initial take on the bran-new windows 8:
i like the fish image and the background (solid blue) color, the first use setup wizard was a bit unfamiliar and confusing for me, but very looks fitting for tablets the metro style desktop looks excellent for tablets, switching back to regular desktop mode is easy at first, but tend to be tricky and elusive latter.
All in all, it looks like the future... kudos Microsoft.

getting back to my starting point, the second OS beta is Canonical's Ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin. which in order to get i simply clicked apply changes on the package manager, waited 15 minutes, and started working.
OK ... i admit ... i installed the alpha version on a new machine two days ago (after my wife surprised me with a much anticipated new lap-top), so 15 minutes more. Plus I'll add an hour for hardware patches and another one for correcting syntax errors in those patches (being a code contributor and an alpha tester I'm quite used to it).

finally, by the time i was done, there was little time left for testing or developing anything. so i went to sleep :(
but, tomorrow is a new day and I'll get right to the business of finding more cool stuff.

so, apart from wanting to try a new (and dare i say, very nice) Microsoft product, did i do anything wrong ?
just to clarify: this entry is not meant as a dis but rather as constructive criticism, bottom line is, windows 8 i quite cool.
I'm just saying, the process of getting the Beta version to work could be shorter, i'm sure.
or could it, ...i wonder ...

well, it is, like this blog entry, only a beta version
Any Thoughts (Oh wait .... "hang on while we get a few things ready ...") ?



G.

No comments:

Post a Comment